Thursday, June 23, 2011

Big news on the home front...

Ok, so I've been slacking on getting a new post up here, but I think I have a pretty good excuse.  Things have been super busy around here, as I've been pet sitting, my husband has been out of town a good bit over the past 2 weeks, oh, and did I mention that I'M PREGNANT AGAIN!

Yep, due in February, so I am experiencing the joys of sickness (although not morning, more early evening) and extreme exhaustion!  Couple that with doing 3 walks a day with the dog I'm pet sitting  in this oppressive heat and humidity, and as you can imagine, I'm pretty exhausted by the end of it all.

So, I've been cutting myself some slack.  Everyone is still getting fed and watered, but there haven't been many belly rubs or brushings for the cats and dogs.  I feel bad, but you know what, they are OK.  And I think that is what I want my take home point from this blog post to be.

As a mother with a lot on my plate, it is ok for me to not be Superwoman.  I think, too often, pets end up at shelters because kids come along and their parents feel badly that Fluffy and Fido aren't getting the same level of attention they used to.  As someone who worked at shelters, I've gotta tell you, that letting go of your guilt and keeping Fido or Fluffy is really a better decision. 

My sister and I were having this discussion just the other day.  She has 2 very active kids and a busy life. And a cat named Alex who she used to brush every night before she had kids.  I don't think Alex has been brushed in 5 years, or at least 3, since kiddo #2 came along.  AND THAT IS OK!  Alex gets food and water and vet care and gets to stay in the house he knows and with the people he loves.
Hubby with Baby William, Ralphie, and Darby

I'm not saying it's ok to neglect your pet because you have kids.  They need to get food, water, vet care, and walks or exercise.  But getting rid of them just because you don't have as much time as you used to is not being kind to them.  Millions of pets are euthanized every year in shelters, and the reality is, most people do not go to a shelter looking for a middle-aged or older pet.  And you know what?  As Fluffy or Fido gets older, they don't need as much exercise or stimulation.  Most are just happy to curl up on the same old couch, with their same old people, and live out their days.

Oh, and I also recommend waiting until you get over the hormone-induced rollercoaster of the first 8 weeks of having a child before making a decision to re-home Fido or Fluffy.  I have a good friend who cast her kitty out on the streets after her first child was born because she couldn't stand the thought of his dirty paws soiling the carpet where her beloved baby was going to be laying, crawling, etc.  Luckily for her kitty (and her kids, in my opinion), he was welcomed back inside after the hormones subsided and the kids love him!

So all I'm saying is, CUT YOURSELF AND YOUR PETS SOME SLACK!  You don't have to be Superwoman to be a great mom and pet-mom. 


PS-Soon to come....tips for cleaning a litterbox while pregnant (if you have to), tips for visiting a dog park with kids, and more!

1 comment:

  1. You know how excited I am to see you blogging! You are doing amazing -especially considering the pregnancy. I was useless when pregnant! So proud of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete